Wednesday, March 07, 2007

6th March - Tigris & Euphrates

Well, finally made it to a game session, Richard is still skiing in the States but Jo made the trip from Burgess Hill to join us for this classic Riener Knizia game from 1997. We are working our way down the BGG all time great list and this one clocks in at number 2, after Puerto Rico. I think Jo and Steve had played this game numerous times, but Garry and myself have only played the once and that was a while ago.


Jo contemplating his next move

Steve quickly ran through the rules for our benefit, this game has numerous tactical options and can lead to my brain hurting quite a bit. I expect every serious gamer has played this so hopefully readers of this blog will know what I am talking about :)


Board close up

Initially we all started well spread out, but the board quickly becomes filled and conflicts inevibably occur. There were only 2 monuments created in the whole game and the second one was fairly late on. As you all probably know the winner is the one who has the most cubes in his weakest colour, a typical Knizia scoring mechanism. Well, black cubes were a premium because we were at least halfway through the game and there were only 2 or 3 black tiles on the board, and I hadn't drawn one at all.


Steve looking extremely frustrated as he tries to figure out his next move


In the end Steve won by a clear 3 points but it was close for the remaining positions.

Final Score
Steve 9, Garry 7, Jo 6, Colin 6


So, next on the BGG top ten list is Power Grid, a game I really like, that should hit the table in about 4 weeks, interruptions permitting.

Happy Gaming!!

2 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Iain said...

Steve's picture is great. That's exactly how I feel when I play T&E.

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which edition of the game is this? It looks different to the Mayfair edition I own...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home